Breast reduction is also known as Gynecomastia Surgery and reduction mammaplasty. It is a breast reduction procedure where the breast size is shrunk and the chest is flattened and augmented.
Gynecomastia is a condition that causes over-development and enlargement in male breasts. This can be a result of obesity, genetics, hormonal changes or the use of specific drugs. The symptoms include surplus glandular tissue development, surplus breast skin and surplus localized fat. It can be present in one or both breasts.
Who are the best candidates for this procedure?
- Men who have a chest that is disproportionately large from some combination of fat or glandular tissue. Candidates should not have a life-threatening illness or any disease that can adversely affect the healing process after the procedure.
- Any men who are looking to improve their self-confidence and have a positive outlook on the results. People who want to accomplish great results with the procedure are perfect candidates.
How is the procedure performed?
- The procedure starts with the administration of intravenous sedation or general anaesthesia. The surgeon will recommend the best option to make sure you receive the optimal level of comfort during the procedure. The procedure itself can be performed using two techniques: liposuction and excision.
- Liposuction involves the insertion of a thin hollow tube called a cannula through several insertions. The tube is then moved back and forth to loosen the surplus fat. This fat is then removed using vacuum suction.
- The excision method is used when removal of excess skin or glandular breast tissue is required. In case the areola needs to be reduced or the nipple needs to be relocated, excision is also used.
Both of these methods can also be used together to treat gynecomastia symptoms.
What does the recovery process entail?
- During the recovery period, bandages or dressings may be applied to the incisions. Support garments or elastic bandages can also be used. Sometimes, it may be required to place a small tube under the skin to drain any additional fluid or blood.
- It is recommended to avoid strenuous activity during the recovery period and not put too much pressure on the incisions. Patients should also make sure that they attend regular follow-up sessions with their doctor after the surgery is complete.
What are the benefits of breast reduction in men?
- Unless the condition was brought on by drug use or weight problems, the effects of a breast reduction are permanent. People who have tried medicine and exercise to no avail will find a breast reduction’s instantly visible results a heaven-sent.
- It gives patients self-confidence and makes them feel easier in their own skin. In addition to removing any imperfections, the procedure cosmetically enhances the breasts to the patient’s liking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there Scarring?
- One of the biggest concerns that many of our patients have is about scarring. We understasnd, you don’t want to be caught next summer with your shirt off and a big scar.
- Luckily, with most gynecomastia surgeries, there is minimal scarring just around the areola. Your friends and family members never even have to know that you had the surgery in the first place.
Are the gynecomastia results permanent?
- The results of your gynecomastia should be permanent unless you injure your chest in any way. Make sure to avoid physical contact for some time after breast reduction surgery.
- As with most surgery reductions, if there are any changes in weight, you will see changes in your breasts.
What can I expect after surgery?
- After surgery, the patient may feel somewhat uncomfortable with mild pain. This discomfort is controlled by the use of analgesics and anti-inflammatories. You will wear a bandage that will be left for the first 24 hours. A compression bandage will then be worn for 2-3 weeks.
How soon can I go to work?
- If your work doesn’t involve straining and heavy lifting, you could be back to work in three days after gynecomastia surgery. Some people go back even sooner, and many work from home the next day. As alway, each surgery recovery depends on the individual.
Where can I get the gynecomastia surgery?
- The Gynecomastia Surgery can be performed at all our locations across the UK. In fact, all our surgeries and procedures can be done at any of these locations. This includes all cosmetic surgeries, hair transplants, hair treatments and injectables.
- Harley Street, London.
- Kensington Olympia, London.
- City London.
You can find out which location is best for you by contacting us here.