Otoplasty - Ear Reshaping Surgery
Living with large ears can be extremely tough. The size and shape of the ears can be a problem especially for children. Many of them experience and suffer insensitive and un-kind remarks and face humiliation in everyday life. With the latest advances in cosmetic surgery techniques this problem can be addressed by ear reshaping surgery.
Ear reshaping can dramatically change a person’s appearance simply by making the huge ears look more natural. The protruding appearance of the ears is caused by a defect in the development of the external ear. This can be associated with some other ear malformations which can be addressed simultaneously.
The procedure of Otoplasty can reduce the ear size and mold them into a new shape. We can make them look more symmetrical and place them closer to the head.
Ear Reshaping Procedure:
- The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia and sedation. It can also be done under general anesthesia depending on the patient’s needs and anaesthetists recommendation.
- An incision is made just behind the ear. The underlying cartilage is then trimmed and reshaped to give the ear a better shape.
- The new ear is then stitched back in the new position. Sometimes it is required to remove excess skin to achieve the best results. It can take 1-2 hours to complete the surgery.
- It is a very safe procedure and there is no effect on hearing. The surgery can be performed on children from the age of seven on wards.
Things to Remember:
It is very important to choose the right plastic or cosmetic surgeon. You have only one body and putting it in the hands of anyone less competent can result in grave consequences. The ideal surgeon is someone who can understand what you want to achieve with the cosmetic surgery procedure. They will work with you to get the best possible solution.
Our state of the art cosmetic surgery facility has the best doctors and the latest machines. We have the most competent and compassionate staff so that BMC can provide exceptional services.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a good candidate for otoplasty?
- Healthy individuals looking to improve the appearance of large, prominent or misshapen ears may be good candidates for otoplasty.
- The procedure can be performed as early as age four. The procedure can help to lessen the psychological and emotional discomfort that children may otherwise endure. Otoplasty is also performed on adults.
At what age can otoplasty be performed?
- Otoplasty can be performed once the ears are fully grown, which typically occurs around the age of four. There are many benefits to performing the surgery at an early age. It can lessen the emotional and psychological discomfort a child may otherwise have to endure.
Will I have scars after undergoing otoplasty?
- Tthe incisions made for otoplasty do result in scars. However, they are hidden as they are usually located behind the ears.
Will I experience any pain after undergoing otoplasty?
- Some throbbing or aching of the ears may occur during the first few days. This can be managed with medication.
When will I be able to return to work after my otoplasty surgery?
- Patients can usually return to work or school within five to seven days.
Where can I get the otoplasty ear reshaping surgery?
- The Otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery can be performed at all our locations across the UK. In fact, all our surgeries and procedures can be done at any of these locations. This includes all cosmetic surgeries, hair transplants, hair treatments and injectables.
- Harley Street, London.
- Kensington Olympia, London.
- City London.
You can find out which location is best for you by contacting us here.