Male Hair Transplant Surgery
Male Hair Transplant Overview
According to statistics in the world about 35% of men have problems with hair loss. In most of the cases, this is alopecia in the androgenetic type. The reasons for which are related to genetics and the effect of the male hormone. The hormone actually kills the hair follicles, stopping the possibility of their reproduction. This can be counteracted with male hair transplant surgery.
Hair loss occurs in most men between the age of 30–40 (and often earlier) years. Hair in the parietal part of the head and on the frontal line becomes short, brittle and thin. This gradually turns into fluff. In just a few years, bald spots are formed. The stage of male pattern baldness (there are seven in total) is visually determined according to the Hamilton-Norwood scale. For alarming symptoms it is better not to delay in contacting a trichologist. Medication and therapeutic treatment with pronounced alopecia do not help. Therefore, the most effective solution to the problem is male hair restoration or male hair transplantation.
What is the Norwood Scale?
The Norwood scale (or Hamilton-Norwood scale) is the leading classification system used to measure the extent of male pattern baldness. It helps the doctor make a more accurate diagnosis of baldness, discuss treatment options, and measure the effectiveness of treatment.
What are the7 stages of Hair Loss?
The Norwood-Hamilton scale includes seven major degrees of baldness in humans:
- Initial – the hair line is slightly offset.
- Hair falls out on the frontal part of the head, small bald patches form (2 cm from the natural line).
- Progression of bald patches on the temporo-frontal region. Loss in the temporal-frontal region and the beginning of hair loss in the parietal zone
- Hair falls out on the parietal part of the head, thinned areas become very noticeable.
- Hair falls out in front of the head, in the temporal zone. A bald spot appears on the back of the head, resembling a semicircle in shape.
- The bald zones of the parietal and frontal areas merge, the number of hair loss at the temples increases.
- Only a small area of hairline remains – from the ears to the back of the head.
Norwood Scale: Causes of Male Baldness
Baldness according to Norwood and Hamilton is explained by scientists by the influence of three factors:
With a genetic predisposition, prolapse can begin as early as 20 years old.
Typically, the problem passes from generation to generation.
In most cases, Norwood baldness is due to the predominance of the hormone. It adversely affects the hair follicles. Hair nutrition stops, it becomes more brittle and weaker.
It is impossible to exclude the age factor – almost 95% of men lose their hair over the years.
Male Hair Transplant ContraIndications
- High blood pressure (above 150/90)
- Poor blood coagulation
- Allergies to anaesthesia
- Implanted pacemaker
- Some chronic skin and other diseases (consult the doctor)
- Under the age of 18
- Older than 70 years
Male Hair Transplant. Before the Surgery at Beyond Med Centre
Two weeks before the operation, it is better to completely avoid alcohol, (smokers – also from cigarettes). On the day of the operation, it is normal to spend a lot of your time in a horizontal position. Mild discomfort with the introduction of anaesthesia will last literally a second, and other pain during a hair transplant will no longer occur.
It is recommended not to get behind the wheel of the car immediately after the operation. This is to stop the seat making contact with the anti-inflammatory bandage that is applied after the operation is completed. At Beyond Med Centre we have Chauffeur Service included to take care of patients. For a short while you are restrained from doing sport. For many busy and successful men, especially managers and public people, it is very important after a hair transplant to get back into operation as quickly as possible. Most importantly, the fact of the transplant is private. The Beyond Med Centre guarantees absolute confidentiality of your treatment and even when just getting patient advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is hair transplant for Men and women?
- Hair loss can affect both men and women. Hair transplant is widely used for both men and women. However, it is more common for men to get the procedure.
Is there an age limit for hair transplant?
- Usually patients between the ages of 20 and 50 are considered as the most suitable candidates for a hair transplant surgery.
- A balding or receding hairline can occur at any stage of life, usually affecting males around the age of 33. However, most men start to notice a receding hairline in their early 20’s and this has caused an increase in young men looking at FUE hair transplants as a solution.
How long does it take for hair to grow after hair transplant?
- Within a few weeks after the operation you may notice some hair loss from the new transplanted area.
- The transplanted hair will begin to grow again in 2-3 months, and it will take up to 12 months to get the complete result.
Is there any scarring?
- With FUE there’s no visible linear scarring, which makes it a better choice. FUE only leaves minute, dot-like scars where each follicle was individually removed.
- These are nearly impossible to see.
- As a result of the strip method (FUT) it creates a linear scar on the back of the head.
Is it a painful procedure?
- The FUE procedure will be performed under local anesthesia and is minimal to no pain during the procedure
What is the recovery period?
- The recovery time for FUE is usually around 8-10 days.
- Recovery time depends on the type of surgery used, with FUE offering faster recovery times.
- In general, most people return to work within a week of the procedure. If stitches are used, they will be removed within 10 days.
- Most of the transplanted hair will fall out within 6 weeks post-surgery. New hair growth should be visible in the recipient areas within months, with hair growing by a half-inch each month.
Where can I get male hair transplant Surgery?
- The Surgery can be performed at all our locations across London and the UK. In fact, all our surgeries and procedures can be done at any of these locations. This includes all cosmetic surgeries, hair transplants, hair treatments and injectables.
- Harley Street, London.
- Kensington Olympia, London.
- City London.
You can find out which location is best for you by contacting us here.