Male Hair Loss
Hair Loss in Men
- Male Hair loss is very common. In later life the levels of the male hormones affecting hair growth can decline.
- However, hair loss in men can happen for other reasons too. Understanding the cause is the first step towards finding the right treatment. Various treatment options are available that can encourage hair growth or restore hair in men.
Causes of Male Hair Loss
- Hair loss in men can happen for many different reasons. It can be a result of a nutritional deficiency, stress-related, or conditions such as alopecia areata or skin disorders.
- Certain medical treatments can also affect your hair. However, more than 90% of cases in men are due to male pattern baldness. This causes a characteristic pattern of hair loss linked to changes in hormone levels.
- Most men will experience some degree of hair loss as they grow older. However, some will notice it earlier or be affected more severely.
Hair Loss Symptoms in Men
- Hair loss in men is most noticeable when it causes bald spots to develop, particularly on shorter hair. However, you might also notice that you are losing more hair when washing or brushing it. You may just notice that your hair feels thinner.
- Male pattern baldness usually causes thinning on the crown of the head along with a receding hairline.
- Thinning can also occur across the scalp. This may be due to disorders such as telogen effluvium that can affect the way hair grows.
- Small bald patches can appear on the scalp due to problems such as infections, scarring or alopecia areata.
- Thin or patchy hair growth can occur on other parts of the body too, including the beard and moustache areas in men.
When to Seek Help
- The way that hair loss happens is important as it can help to diagnose the cause. It may also affect the treatment options that are available to you.
- Hair loss isn’t usually a sign of anything serious. However, it can still have a significant impact on your confidence and mood.
If you are at all unhappy about losing your hair then you should seek help at the BMC. You don’t have to wait until the hair loss is severe. Treatment may be available to restore your hair and boost your self-esteem.
You should also see your GP or a dermatologist if you experience sudden hair loss. You have other symptoms such as an itchy scalp and this may need treatment for conditions such as a skin infection.
Treatments for Male Hair Loss
Several different treatment options are available to help with hair loss in men. Depending on the cause and extent of the hair loss, your doctor may recommend:
- A hair transplant.
- Medication to encourage hair growth or prevent further loss.
- Mesotherapy to ensure your hair is getting the right nutrients.
- PRP treatment to stimulate hair growth.
- Scalp micropigmentation to conceal the hair loss.
If you are worried about your hair then you should make an appointment at the BMC to find out which of these treatment options is most suitable for you.
Where can I get male hair loss treatment help?
The BMC offer help and consultations for Hair Loss in males at all our locations across London and the UK. In fact, all our surgeries and procedures can be done at any of these locations. This includes all cosmetic surgeries, hair transplants, hair treatments and injectables.
- Harley Street, London.
- Kensington Olympia, London.
- City London.
You can find out which location is best for you by contacting us here.